Playable World Map size vs. Saved World Map size

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM

I've always noticed with MoreTerra vs. my in-game exploring that there are a number of tiles that are shown in the MoreTerra images (so I assume are in the world save file) which aren't actually accessible in game.  This was exacerbated with 1.1 which brought the playable area in even further from the actual world boundaries than previously.  Has there been any consideration to cropping the final image to match the actual playable area rather than showing the full world file including unplayable areas?  I ask partly because I'm pedantic and notice them when I'm viewing my world a lot because of the digging I've done on the edges, but mostly I'm just curious on whether anyone else has noticed and/or cares. :)

Developer
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Terraria never allows the player all the way to the edge.  You always get stopped 22 squares from
any of the edges of the map, though you can still mine off the edge.  At first I figured this was to
help cover the liquid system, so they didn't have to do any edge testing on it but the liquid moves
from around 16 squares off the edge of the map, leaving a 6 square spot that nothing seems to
affect.

I had not noticed if the number got larger than 22 but that's simple enough to test, esp with the
Adamantite drill just chewing through dirt.

I could make something that cropped the image so that the areas on the side that are not accessible
are not shown as I've had one other complaint on here about a chest on the very edge of the map. 

Developer
Dec 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Oh good lord, it's now up to 42 squares on the edges that are unplayable.  This simply
will not do.

Cropping the edges is now definitely on my list of things to do.

I finally broke my Taboo and got a decompiler to look at Terraria's source code to
 learn how Cobalt spawns and found it never spawns in the 100 tiles around the
edge so you'll never have new ores that you can not reach. 

Developer
Dec 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Btw, in case anyone wonders I found out why it does this, though it's still slightly confusing.

It's the lighting system that causes the game to not let you over to the edge.  You can only go as far as the number
of offscreen tiles that are used for determining lighting.  What's extra strange about this is that number is different
depending on the lighting mode you have, which is why this changed.

In case you just can't quite reach something and have the new color lighting on try pressing F9 until the old blocky lighting
starts up and you will be able to go that last 20 tiles. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Yeah, this is a known bug. I didn't realise the map size was off before v1.1 though. I remember mining right up to the world edge in v1.5 although I forgot to check whether it jived with MoreTerra's map.

Check out this thread, http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/bug-my-world-shrank.64687/

Developer
Dec 16, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Well the world cropping is in and provided some interesting headaches.  It's not perfect in that
if you look for chests in the World Information tab it will show chests that are off the playable map,
but you still will not see them on the map when it gets drawn.