1.1 Patch ETA?

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:53 PM

How much time do you think it would take to update to 1.1?

Developer
Dec 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM

As long as I can get time I should have it today.

Last night I worked out the new compression and also fixed the new chests style but as of
right now all new tiles show up as pink so they stand out on the map, but you can not
tell the difference between them.

Any new information in the header (new bosses, anything to do with the Hallowed, hard mode)
are not catalogued at all right now as I don't quite know what those new places are going to
turn out to be.

I also have not figured out how I am going to handle the wires on the map.  I am considering
an option that turns wires on/off when drawing the map as the wires will cover any other
objects.

So I figure I can get a quick and dirty version out sometime today and then spend the next
bit refining it as I work out the rest of the new things. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I look forward to seeing the new version, this piece of software has proven to be is extremely helpful and saved me hours of tedious searching. Is is possible that the wire could be output in a separate image that could be added over the top as a layer in Photoshop or paint.net?

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:33 AM
Edited Dec 4, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Frankly, as long as you cover the base terrain tiles your program is good to go. The other stuff like furniture, wiring, etc is just gravy as far as I'm concerned.

If you think the new stuff is gonna take a lot more effort, don't rush them - just get the base terrain viewer working with the new version first since imo that's the most important feature. Items and stuff like wiring are player-made, we don't really need to be reminded where we put them in the world. It'd be nice to eventually have, yes, but not as pressing as getting the program to actually work with 1.1 maps. Thanks!

Good job, keep it up.

Edit: Just wanted to second what n2large0shirt posted. You could make player-created things like furniture and stuff optional to display. That way we could generate just the base map, then later generate another map with the goodies drawn in. I think that would be easier than creating Photoshop layers for the same image (otherwise people would then have to buy Photoshop...).

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:02 AM

I agree with the last comment.  send out the quick, dirty version then work on the wires.  Not too many people will be neeeding them too soon (if they are playing the game legit)

Developer
Dec 4, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Well if wires only came from players that would work but there are preset wires on the map, assuming you are playing
a freshly generated world.  And even if you are not it should not be very hard to go explore the dungeon and find
the mechanic.

Really, with the way I have things designed it will be quite simple to add the wiring in, much easier than dealing
with a lot of the other things.  I spent an hour alone last night tracking down one single new type of tile, mainly
because it turned out to be Ice that comes from a player spell and melts when you save and quit.

At the moment I have all but one of the new tiles and one of the new walls ready for colors and I need to add new
markers for Cobalt, Mythril and Adamantite.

And sadly, after a fair amount of research I discovered I will not be able to place the yet-to-be-saved NPCs on the map
as the game does not save their location in the world file until after they have been freed.

I'll think about outputting double images for people who want to layer things themselves but it's not a priority now. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:09 PM

The bound NPCs' locations not being saved with the world file makes a huge amount of sense--I didn't know about the auto-pause bug with freeing bound NPCs the first time I went to free the Mechanic, so I ended up quitting to main menu and reloading... and she was in a different location. The reason the location of the bound NPCs is completely random, yet they can be found quite easily even on a large world, is because (I hypothesize) they simply spawn like regular mobs, on a rare chance. People are finding them in the dungeons because there's a high rate of mob spawning there. I haven't tested this, but it should be easy (albeit excruciatingly tedious!) to do so: merely create a new world, kill Skeletron, set spawn to a bed on top of the Dungeon, then make several copies of the world and do the same in each for statistical analysis: Explore the dungeon normally and time how long it takes to find the Mechanic, either normally or with Battle Potion and wielding a water candle. The difference in spawn rate should be statistically noticeable with enough data points--if my little theory is correct.

Me, I'm still working on playing the Hallow vs. Corruption mode--I just yesterday defeated the Wall of Flesh for the first time, after running afoul of the bug where if you die, the Horrified debuff doesn't fade and you can't resummon WoF. (I've seen a few conflicting reports: some say you can resummon it once it reaches the opposite end of the map and despawns; others say you have to summon a Goblin Army and get the Guide to respawn that way--I tried the Goblin Army, guide soon respawned, but Horrified never wore off even after waiting around an absurdly long time after. Ended up restoring from a backup of the world and character I'd wisely made before summoning.)

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM

wait to how did you beat WoF?  im getting close to doing everything but that.  what weapon (s) did you use?

Developer
Dec 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I beat WoF but considering I cheated horribly to do so I can't help you with it.

I was wearing pure Hallowed Gear with the Hallowed Repeater firing about non-stop and even then I kept having to try again
because my hell fighting platform was not near long enough.

But considering I was only trying to get the Hallowed/Corrupt parts to spawn so I could test MoreTerra against it I didn't think
playing fair mattered too much.

He was nasty enough with the final gear that I can't help but cringe to think of what will happen when I play fair. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Haha alright.  Well im trying to play it legit and just beat skeletron.  I have molten armor and an upgraded minishark (found goblin) and 1000 silver bullets.  I've also got the spectre boots and I'm about to craft the obsidian shield.  Ill probly use all the potions i can get, and use a gravity position to fly in a straight line, while praying that my bullets are doing damage.  I may give myself a star cannon, but i have not yet decided.

I see what you are saying though, and I totally agree.

Developer
Dec 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Well the new version is out so check it out when you've beaten WoF, it's rather neat looking.

Also, can you try turning on NPC markers for the Goblin Tinkerer and the Wizard (if you have him)?
I have not had the chance to test that they show up properly.  Wizard should be fine but the Tinkerer
might have a different name than I expected.

Good luck on WoF. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM

My NPC's did show up, even the Tinkerer.  I had a Mechanic too but she died and I don't know about the wizard, for I have not battled the WoF.  If you have anymore questions or anything you are unsure of, I'd love too help.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Edited Dec 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Mechanic, Tinkerer, Wizard, Tombstones, Cobalt/Mythril/Adamantite markers and Hallow biome all worked neatly. May I suggest a statue marker for next patch?

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Also, a bunch of potions, molten gear, hellfire/unholy arrows and a friend were enough for me to defeat WoF.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Thanks.  I am clueless when I try to set up a server.  I have multiple friends but non of us know how to set it up.

Developer
Dec 5, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Haha, I have a statue marker planned already after I saw how many ones spawn in the new worlds.  That should
be extremely easy to add, though it won't come with something showing what type of statue (yet).

It makes me smile that I added Tombstones a long time ago, assuming they spawned in Multiplayer as I do not
play in that mode.  I guess I was ahead of the curve there. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:46 AM

you seem to be one step ahead of everything!  im glad your the developer.

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:50 AM

now since you seem to know terraria fairly well (though i could be wrong), might i ask one more question? do you know how to set up a server wher 1 or 2 of my friends could play with me? 

i cannot help my self to say thank you once more for moreterra!

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM
stadnyk wrote:

now since you seem to know terraria fairly well (though i could be wrong), might i ask one more question? do you know how to set up a server wher 1 or 2 of my friends could play with me? 

Sent you an e-mail with all you need to make one. Good luck!

Developer
Dec 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Thanks Rune.  I've played Multiplayer a long time ago when I was just on two PCs inside a house but I haven't tried
setting up a Hamachi server to run it via the net.  That seems to be the primary way people do it when they can't pay
to host their own server.

Glad someone else was able to answer Stadnyk's question. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Thank you all for your help! I read the e-mail and as soon as I get home, I will test it out.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:20 PM
RuneSpyro007 wrote:
stadnyk wrote:

Sent you an e-mail with all you need to make one. Good luck!

hi,

i'm also having problems with playing multiplayer. could you forward the e-mail to me please?

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM

bug

looking for silver ore, gold ore is shown on the map
looking for gold ore, silver ore is shown on the map

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Hazzab, I sent you the e-mail regarding the server.  It worked for me (thank you RuneSpyro007) and good luck!

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I've been getting a different error... very frustrating.  When I try to draw a map for a new world (medium size) i get a dialog box titled "Error Opening World" with the following text:

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

Details: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary12.get_Item(TKey key)

at MoreTerra.WorldMapper.ReadWorldTiles()

at MoreTerra.FormWorldView.worker_GenerateMap(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

I've tried deleting all the old settings in my user profile thinking it was something with an old install but it didn't help.  Been trying to find other places files for it may be but really cant find anything.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:24 AM

thank you all for the help! i have set up a server and if anyone would like to ever join just message me.  i also defeated the wall of flesh, which i ended up doing on my own (twice in a row) because my friend ditched me! :')   the key is to  make a flat path through a better part of your underworld, and throw the guide doll off the outer side.  you will need a minishark with aprrox. 300 silver bullets and a star cannon with at least 200 stars.  my world is now a living hell, because of the hardmode :p but it was worth it and the hallowed does look very cool on moreterra!

Developer
Dec 6, 2011 at 5:46 AM

Shawnlander, you appear to be using an old version of MoreTerra.

That function it is crashing in, ReadWorldTiles, has not existed for a while now.
I think I took it out when I released 1.6.

Take a look on the About page and be sure it is running 1.10.0.1, which is the latest. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:26 AM
stadnyk wrote:

Hazzab, I sent you the e-mail regarding the server.  It worked for me (thank you RuneSpyro007) and good luck!

Thankyou very much stadnyk and runespyro007. it worked for me too.

Developer
Dec 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Well, now that I have MoreTerra up and running I played almost totally legit, not even using MoreTerra to view my map.
All I did was pull some Holy Water in from another character to make my starting zone into a Hallowed spot.

Wall of Flesh was suprisingly easy when I got down to it, in fact I'd say he was easier this time then he was when
I fought in full Hallowed Gear.

I'd made a nice sized fighting platform then went to town on him with my Sunfury and a Hellfire bow, though the Sunfury
was doing more damage as it hits multiple times.  Had a bit of help from Regen & Ironskin potions.  I'm still amazed
how fast you can go from new Hard Mode to wearing Adamantite gear.  I'm also amazed that the Hallowed side of
the world is way more crazy and deadly than the Corrupt side. 

I just hope that when it comes time to go for the Twins or other new bosses they end up feeling easier as well.  Guess
time will tell. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

you said it! i have beaten 3 wayverns, and even they were a challenge and i died multiple times trying to kill my first one.  with a cobalt repeater and 200 cused arrows. i cant stand even thinking about fighting the twins

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM

That's impressive Soulsund, I have been playing after work since it was released and I am still only that far.  I was sort of disappointed that the molten armor was made obsolete instantly, It kinda feels like they just tacked another game on the end of the original and made you thrown away most of the top tier items you worked for in the first part...

I agree, the wall of flesh was pretty easy when you have a platform, I didn't die on my first attempt killing it, but I didn't get any of the common drops either... so I went and got cobalt and killed it 5 more times getting nothing but an emblem and the pwnhamer for a total of 5 kills in a row. It was disapointing.

Developer
Dec 9, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Ah, I just started fighting Wyverns and I actually found them quite easy, until a Blood Moon spawned
during the fight.  I took two down and the third followed me down off the platform and wiped me out
when I tried to flee.

I fight them by simply jumping (using only a cloud in a bottle) right as it is going to hit me and
it goes just under and sets itself up for another pass just like the first.  With a good Sunfury shot
I can hit it 6-10 times a pass but most of the time I hit it 1-2 but it whittles it down quite well and
mostly I just take Harpy damage.  Granted I use the Sunfury for most of my fighting with the Pwnhammer
as backup when stuff gets too close so I have a lot of practice aiming it.

As per the Molten armor I'm a veteran of World of Warcraft so new patches making all my old gear pointless
is pretty normal for me.  If I simply went into Hell and got the Molten armor then beat the boss I could
see it being extra annoying but I spent quite some time moving Lava around in Hell and then having
a great time pumping it all over the place.  That sure beats buckets of lava. 

I actually have a massive room cleared for building an entire underlava town but got too curious about
Hard mode and now the whole place is corrupt and extremely deadly to even step inside of. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:08 AM

i could actually see that working out really well! sadly i do not have a cloud in a bottle or balloon, but i do have a set of angel wings! i usually just use grav porions and fly up and down.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM

your tactic seems waaaay more efficient though

Developer
Dec 9, 2011 at 3:24 AM

I tried a Grav potion at first when I was simply looking for the floating island to find my
Balloon and I almost defeated the Wyvern but it's quite hard to hold him in any decent
pattern that way.

Angel Wings will likely work as up in low grav a regular jump just barely clears him and
the double jump is just to keep from going through the body.  Though the head is where
all the damage is so avoiding the body is not as dire but it will still whittle you down. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:04 AM

I just killed wof 3 more times... and I have the worst luck less than a stack of glass bullets through the clockwork assault rifle for all three kills that was pretty cool, still got nothing but some emblems 3 pwnhammers, an Annoying breaker, and a unbuffed clock work AR. Is the laser rifle even worth the bother?

The Wyverns are pretty easy with guns to if you get a platform up high.. they kept obliterating me until I got mine built. Trying to juggle the ice rod and a gun at the same time is tough for me even without jumping around like a manic and shooting I still fall to my death.

If you hit the head consistently you can kill a Wayvern with less than 20 glass bullets using the Clockwork AR. The cloud in a balloon is also helpful.

I have never played World of Warcraft, so maybe I'm just not desensitized enough. I just think that if i have to grind for something it ought to be useful for more than one boss fight. I really like how the tier below molten has several sets all designed for different classes. The hard armor has that with the different head gear, but I don't think that is as interesting.

I started to pump the lava out too, I really enjoy the new pump... but because the hell stone produces its own lava anyway I went with the obsidian skin anyway and gave up on the pumping. You made a village in the under world? Or above it? You should share your map.

This is really off topic, I hope you don't mind, Soulsund.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM

really this whole discusion is slowly moving farther and farther away from its original topic (moreterra).  i think that the hardmode bosses are worth talking about.  does anyone have a "gameplan" for the twins? should i battle the twins or the destroyer? ive heard hes a bit easier with the right equipment.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Really off topic indeed, Perhaps we should start a private "Moreterraria endorsed" server for the people in the discussion boards. I think I have a vent server that we could use... Just a thought.

Developer
Dec 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM

It did go quite off topic but at the same time this particular thread is basically done anyways as
it's original purpose, talking about when MoreTerra would support 1.1, was completed.