Show "fog of war"?

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM
Edited Nov 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Love the program! Just found it and it's amazing to be able to see my entire world!

If I could make a request, though, I'd like an option to only show the parts of the world that are "discovered", so to speak?  I'd love to get a sense of what I've already uncovered & what I haven't, but not reveal the entire map for myself.

I don't think Terraria really has a "fog of war" mechanic, so maybe it'd be something like covering the map with a black layer, and then only reveal the underlying map at the spot of a torch. I did that in an image-program and its pretty close to what I'm looking for.  

Here's a link to the image I made: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VWidWZElmlExqTxgmbmLQM400uAqEa7vukhrHosC8tg?feat=directlink

Developer
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Well, when first reading it I was thinking it would be impossible to do but your idea of only showing where there are torches is a decent idea.
I do have two issues with it, though.

For one, this will not show any of the overworld, at least in spots you travelled during the day.  Also this means that for people who use
the mining helmet or shine potions you will not see those spots either.  Still I will keep this in mind as I do like this idea for when just
getting started.