MoreTerra for Mac

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM

No, I am not here asking for you (or anyone) to develop your project on a Mac.(although that would be cool)

I have actually managed to make MoreTerra work on a Mac, using Wineskin. Compressed .zip file size is 162.8 MB, expanded application size is 514.9 MB. I know this is a lot larger than the base application, but considering it has to emulate an operating system with Mono 2.8 installed on it (which is in place of DotNet 4.x) I find the size is well worth not having to open a VM. I am still working on making this file size smaller, but it is very difficult since Mono 2.8 is about 350 MB itself.

If there is any public interest in sharing this application (and the creator of MoreTerra approves) I am willing to place this online for the public to have.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:29 AM

I am trying to make this MUCH smaller currently, and it should take me a few days but I am aiming for below 100 MB uncompressed application size. Going to take me a few days to brush up on C# and get used to using my code compilers again.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:21 AM

I was planning on building a Mono wrapper (like someone did for the game itself) for your application in an effort to reduce file size. In looking through your code it looks like you were already preparing for instances where this application might be running in Mono, does a Mono wrapper already exist for this application, or were you just planning ahead?

Developer
Aug 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Someone asked for it to be running in Mono and I was looking into what would be stopping it from running.  
All they wanted for it was to run the command line and it seemed that it was simply the AttatchConsole call that was
messing that up so I forced the code around it.  Nothing major.

Last I knew the code was still having issues with the Windowed version in Mono but until I was done with the
other things I wanted to do I was not making a major priority for it.   I have an Ubuntu partition on my hard drive
so I'm able to test some things through that but I have no way to test on Mac at the moment.

Unfortunately as I said it is still a fairly low priority but anything you find out would be useful down the line when
I'm ready for it.