Draw Grid on Map

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It would be incredibly useful to draw a grid on the map so that it is easier to find the chest you are looking for.

Developer
Aug 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Well, drawing a grid on the map would either cover up pieces of the world or would stretch it out oddly, if we drew
the world around the grid.  I guess we could just draw a vertical line straight up from the chests so they stand out
up in the sky a bit more but I'm not sure how much I like that idea either. 

The truly ideal method for making finding chests easy would be quite involved as we'd have to make MoreTerra
be an image viewer instead of just a program that would draw it out to a picture file.  This would require a tremendous
amount of work. 

I guess I should state that the map sizes for the three world types are

• 4200 x 1200 for Small
  • 6300 x 1800 for Medium
  • 8400 x 2400 for Large

This way when something shows coordinates of 1901, 1042 on a small world you know it is just to the left of the start
and all the way down in the Underworld area.

You can always use the chest filter to find what chests in the world have what you want and then only draw those
chests to the map, using the coordinates to pinpoint the exact location when zooming in on the big image.

I used this to track down a chest with a Sunfury so I could go straight to it on a new world so I could see the new
Locked style of chests and it worked out rather well.

If you open the world file in something like Paint or Gimp the pixel coordinates should directly match up with the
Chest coordinates which should make it easier as well.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM

What about an option for adding several chest filters, and marking those chests with the according numbers on the map?

example: Filter 1: - Magic Mirror, Muramasa
               Filter 2: - Sunfury

And a number next to the chest symbol on the map
Easy to find items ;)

Developer
Aug 12, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Well, that is not a bad idea however you can already do such a thing by simply
looking up only one chest type at a time.

I considered something like this a while back because I was going to change the
letters in the icons to numbers that showed how many of something was in one
location (aka, only look for Gold ore that is bigger than 10 then it shows as 16
on the map.  However, 16x16 is the size of the current icons and that's very little
room to be drawing a two digit number in.

I figured as long as I had the number system in I'd use it for the chests as well.

As of right now the best way I can think is with a right-click menu on the chest
filter list and then just add a #1 to the end of the item text in that window.
Granted, I'd need to have to find a way to handle when there are more than
one tracked object in a chest.

Using this type of system I could probably fit 1-9 into the Chest symbols but it
would also conflict with my plans to show the chest type (gold, gold locked,
shadow, shadow locked and so on).

I'll give this some more consideration. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I mucked with the code a bit and just had a grid drawing over the image. It makes it a little easier to find objects but found that it can still get lost in large maps.

As an alternative, I went ahead and created a png viewer program in WPF that simply shows the x,y coordinates of the middle of the viewport which has a small-ish box. Just scroll the image until you get close to the coordinates. It is pretty simple, but works.