World Viewer crashes on start-up

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Whenever I run the .exe for either the World Viewer or the batch file for the nogui, it crashes with a message saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close. The last version which worked for me was 1.3.1. version 1.4 and 1.5 give me the message I stated above. It should run like normal, but for some reason it doesn't. Any ideas on the issue or similar problems you guys may have? I have all updated Framework, etc.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Same here it seem is an Win XP problem

Jul 2, 2011 at 4:12 AM

The old maintainer's 1.0.0.0 version didn't have this problem, but the current version does.  Is the current maintainer actually aware of all the threads on this?

Jul 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I believe I've figured out the source of the problem that causes the program to crash instantly for some people.

The short version is Windows XP does not support 256x256 icons or PNG compression.  The icon needs to be scaled down to 48x48 and not be PNG compressed.

The longer version follows:

The crash seems to only happen for Windows XP users.  It happens reliably, as soon as the program starts.

The error message is:
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    5000
Date:        6/27/2011
Time:        2:03:01 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    9123B7684C89428
Description:
EventType clr20r3, P1 terrariaworldviewer.exe, P2 1.0.0.0, P3 4e04c62c, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4d352e63, P7 20a2, P8 7, P9 n3ctrye2kn3c34sgl4zqyrbfte4m13nb, P10 NIL.

This 'means' the reason for the error is unknown.  It's a unhandled exception of unknown origin.

Many things can cause this error.  Amongst them are:
* invalid icon sizes
* invalid icon format, due to using the wrong file type (e.g. telling Visual Studio it's a ICO file when it's a PNG), or trying to use PNG compression in a icon on Windows XP, or the file being corrupt
* failing to load a DLL or ActiveX control, because the programmer forgot to include it in the package, or they included a different version than what the executable was built with
* failing to load a font, usually due to corrupt installations of fonts
* failing to read a file or directory, due to it not being included in the package, it being moved or renamed, or file system security restrictions
* the executable or a DLL it tries to load being obscenely large, usually due to generated code, which causes memory exhaustion or linking errors at run time
* failing to start a service the program needs when loading

A quick examination of the source code shows that the icon is 256x256, so that's the problem.

For future reference, Microsoft recommends only using icons of sizes...
* 48x48
* 32x32
* 16x16
... for programs compatible with Windows XP.  See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx

There are many other icon sizes used by other versions of Windows.  See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx

Hopefully this message will get the program fixed for us Windows XP users, and help any other programmers getting this error message.

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:12 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2011 at 2:31 AM

I have uploaded a fixed version. this is the same as the current source version, just recompiled with a different sized .ico file.

I hope the current maintainer of this understands issues in developing for legacy Windows systems, and will continue to support them. This truly is a great tool for all Terraria players.

I'll remove the link when the real one is updated. this is purely so those who are impatient (like me) can use the map viewer.

Link: http://theskyisnotblue.com/WorldViewFix.zip

- A Taylor

EDIT: I realise this may seem a bit fishy, but it is all there, unedited, didn't even add myself to credits. (Cause thats lame and just dishonest)

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for looking into it, RedirectLeft.

A fix for everyone on XP is coming soon.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Thanks for fixing the problem for us XP users noroom.

Also, thanks to RedirectLeft for providing a fixed copy of the current version to everyone in the interim.  I have no web space to host such things at the moment, and all the file sharing websites seem to drop the files in 2 weeks or less.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM

It's no problem, and I was going to use a filesharing site, but I thought I might as well use one of my own domains, i've got lots of spare bandwidth, so unless someone downloads it over 1 million times, I ain't going to have any problems :p

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Thank you sooooo much for the Windows XP fix! I thought I'd have to plan my giant castle without it.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Thanks for the fix.  I've tested it on all of my worlds and it works great.  Now I can finally show people my greenhouse!

Also, I like Dropbox for filesharing whenever it's possible.